Monday, July 13, 2026

Ride In The Desert



 The hotel lounge smelled of aged oak and expensive bourbon, the kind of place where deals were made and secrets were buried under low conversation. She sat alone at the far end of the bar, legs crossed, black dress riding just high enough to show the lace edge of her stocking. A Jack and Coke rested between her fingers, with a cherry. She hadn't touched it in ten minutes; she was watching the ice melt instead.

I slid onto the stool beside her without asking. The bartender glanced up; I lifted two fingers. "What she's having."

She turned her head slowly. A small, shy smile curved her lips, polite, guarded, the smile of a woman who knew exactly how dangerous strangers could be but still let them sit close.

"Forgive me if I'm intruding," I said, voice low enough that only she could hear it over the jazz piano. "Conference. Boring as hell. Thought I'd find better conversation here."

She tilted her head, studying me. "Seats aren't taken. You're not intruding."

The bartender set my drink down. I slid it toward her first. "For the lady who looked like she needed company more than another cherry."

She laughed, soft, surprised; and accepted it. "Thank you. I'm Aleisha."

I smiled, letting her see just a hint of teeth. "Call me Elias."

Small talk followed, weather, travel complaints, the conference agenda neither of us cared about. But every question I asked was a probe, gentle, surgical.

"What brings you here alone?"

"Work trip. Desert survival course. Boss thought I needed character building."

I laughed quietly. "You don't strike me as someone who needs building. You look like you've already survived worse than sand and heat."

Her eyes flickered, something raw, quickly hidden. "Maybe. But I still like learning how to stay alive."

I leaned closer, voice dropping. "And what would you do...if you had to survive something that wasn't just the desert?"

She met my gaze, unflinching. "I'd fight. I'd find the water. I'd keep going until there was nothing left to keep going for."

My smile deepened. I already knew the answer. I'd known it for months, slipping into her dreams, tasting her thoughts while she slept, watching her move through crowds like a blade through silk. She was the one. Strong enough to carry the change. Hungry enough in her soul to want it.

When the bartender turned away to polish a glass, I pricked the pad of my thumb with a fingernail sharper than it should have been. Three crimson drops fell into her Jack and Coke, silent, invisible. She never saw.

She finished the drink. I watched the flush rise on her cheeks, the slight quickening of her pulse. The first thread of my blood weaving into her veins.

"It's late," she said finally, sliding off the stool. "I have an early shuttle. Thank you for the company, Elias. It was...nice."

I stood with her, close enough to feel the heat radiating off her skin. "The pleasure was mine, Aleisha."

She walked away. I stayed at the bar, watching her reflection in the mirror behind the bottles.

Mine didn't appear at all.


The desert sun was merciless, but she moved with purpose, setting up her yurt, laughing with the group, learning knots and fire-starting like it was a game. By dusk, though, the change had begun. A low-grade fever, a strange hunger that food wouldn't touch, a thirst that water only made worse.

She saw me across the camp as the stars came out. I was leaning against a boulder, arms crossed, watching her like I'd been waiting.

She walked over, boots crunching sand. "Hey. Fancy meeting you here. You didn't mention you were coming on this trip."

I smiled, slow, knowing. "Last-minute decision. You made it sound...interesting."

She laughed, but it was thinner now. "Well, I need to lie down. Feeling off."

I nodded. "Rest. I'll be here."

She walked back to her yurt. I watched every step, every sway of her hips, counting the hours until the moon rose full.

By morning, the camp was empty.

Yurts gone. Gear gone. People gone. Just her sleeping bag on the sand, and me sitting beside her, waiting.

She woke groggy, disoriented. "What? Where is everyone?"

I shrugged. "Woke up the same way. Desert's quiet now."

We packed what little was left, her things, my things, and started walking. I led her toward water I knew was there, toward the place I'd chosen.

By noon the heat was brutal. She staggered, leaned against a large boulder in the shade, breathing hard. "I need to stop. I'm...starving. And not for food."

I stepped close, too close. "I know."

She looked up at me, confused, pupils blown wide. "You know?"

I brushed hair from her eyes with the back of my knuckles. "I've known you longer than you think, Aleisha."

My voice dropped, ancient syllables slipping from my tongue, language older than the stars. She blinked, trying to understand, swaying toward me like gravity had shifted.

I lifted her, pinned her back to the cool stone, my body pressing hers. "You agreed to this once," I murmured against her throat. "In dreams you don't remember. You said yes."

She gasped as I tore her shirt open, slow, deliberate. Buttons scattered across sand. My mouth found her collarbone, licking, tasting the salt of her sweat and the first faint copper of the change.

"You'll understand soon."

I stripped her bare, reverent, ruthless. Laid her on the sleeping bag I'd spread. My clothes followed, skin pale as moonlight, veins dark beneath, eyes glowing red-gold when the demon in me surfaced.

I slid into her, slow, deep, claiming every inch. She cried out, nails digging into my shoulders, body arching like it remembered me.

I rode her for hours.

Whispering in that ancient tongue, telling her of my world, of the void I'd crossed to find her, of the mate I'd searched centuries for. Of how I'd scented her across timelines, heard her heartbeat through the noise of millions, tasted her mind while she slept.

"You were always mine," I growled, thrusting harder. "You just needed to wake up."

She came apart beneath me, shuddering, sobbing, pulsing around me like she wanted to keep me inside forever. I spilled into her, hot, searing, the first true mark of the change.

Then I bit my wrist, pressed it to her mouth.

"Drink."

She did, greedy, desperate, eyes rolling back as my blood flooded her system. She thrust up into me, frantic, starving for more than just my cock. I drank from her then, behind the ear, where the pulse thundered, pulling her life into me while I gave her mine.

Her body seized. She screamed, pleasure and rage and understanding all at once.

I held her through the worst of it, whispering calm until the fog cleared and her eyes focused on mine.

She saw me, truly saw me. The demon form, the stardust halo, the ancient hunger.

She smiled, slow, wicked, mine.

I kissed her once, soft, tender; then gathered my things. Left hers scattered in the sand. Took only one thing; her panties, still warm, tucked into my pocket like a talisman.

She had to die here. Had to lose everything. Had to choose me on her own.

I walked away.


11:42 a.m. the next day.

I sat in the rental car outside her hotel, engine idling, patience fraying. I'd waited centuries. I could wait hours. But the thought of her lost to the desert, alone, burning, dying, made something ancient snarl inside me.

Then, soft knock on the passenger window.

She stood there. Bags packed. Hair wild. Eyes bright with something new.

"Hey, you," she said, voice rough from thirst and transformation. "I...remembered you were leaving today. Can I trouble you for a ride to the airport?"

I smiled, slow, victorious.

"Of course, Aleisha. Get in."

She slid into the seat. I pulled away from the curb.

She rummaged through her bag, frowning. "This is going to sound insane, but...I can't find any of my underwear. I know I packed them."

I glanced at her, then at the rearview mirror, where my reflection still didn't appear.

"Funny thing about the desert," I said softly. "Things get lost. Or found."

She looked at me, really looked.

And the realization hit.

Her hand went to her throat, where the bite mark had already healed to a faint silver scar.

"Elias..."

I reached over, brushed my thumb across her lower lip.

"Welcome home, mate."

She leaned over the console, kissed me, hard, hungry, tasting of blood and starlight.

And I drove us straight into the horizon.

Where no one would ever find us again.


© Ale, 2026, Spinning On The Rack, do not copy or redistribute. if you like what you read, reach out to me. comments are open, and discord exists for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking The Reins

I'm rather quiet and reserved. I prefer to watch and see, rather than be seen. You can learn a lot about the world around you when you k...